Thursday, April 22, 2010

धन्यवाद (Dhanyavad)

Dhanyavad to World Literaacy Canada for selecting me for this amazing opportunity to work and live in India. After 10 long years, I am finally back home. Being an Indo-Canadian, I find my experience in India extremely personal because of my religious, cultural and family ties. I have already made a list of all the gurdwaras, families and historical places I need to visit. However, this is my first time in Banaras and I would like to say Dhanyavad to both Meera ji’s family and the WLC India staff. They have been very welcoming and accepting of all four of us. Every morning I am greeted by Meera ji and asked the same three questions “did you sleep okay?”, “how are you feeling?”, and “how are the other girls?”. I have given her the title as my “India Mom”, and enjoy spending time with her.

Just like the other interns, it has also taken me some time to adjust to our new settings. It is hot, and clearly shows on my face as I am always sweating……thank god for the 3 piece Indian suit, the dupataa is very useful. I have also become accustomed to drinking nimbo pani (lemon water) four times a day as it helps me cool off from this heat. On the other hand, I feel like I already belong here as I enjoy speaking in hindi, watching the latest bollywood films, shopping for colorful suits and eating mouth watering sweets….mmmmmmmm jalabi’s !

Again Dhanyavad to WLC, this is truly an enlightening experience !

हेर्लीन (Herleen)

No comments:

Post a Comment